Monday 14 April 2014

Waiting for Bob Marley - to include in my stamp collage flag of Jamaica

Canvas prints of some of the national flag collages I've made were exhibited  at The Guildhall in March, bringing  enquiries about other countries' flags, including the flag of Jamaica.  I've started making this beautiful black, yellow and green flag to add to the portfolio. (There are others which are currently works in progress too!) I love to include iconic images in the flags and couldn't possibly leave out Bob Marley! However stamps commemorating this famous reggae star were sadly lacking from my stock books. But today, I'm pleased to say I received just what I've been looking for - a set of stamps issued in 1995, on the 50th anniversary  of his birth, showing portraits throughout his  musical career, so now I can add the final touches to this one!
Other stamps or details of stamps include the celebrated Jamaican bobsled team, the first Jamaicans to take part in a Winter Olympics event, which was in 1988 in Calgary. They subsequently qualified to take part in later Winter Olympics, and the film Cool Runnings told their inspiring story.
1968 cricket stamps commemorate the MCC tour of the West Indies. I remember having  these in my own childhood stamp album. The vibrant green of the pitch against the palm trees and blue sky are quite a striking memory, so I'm glad to see them again!
It's sometimes difficult to find stamps of a certain colour and yellow is always a challenge. So now I am trying to track down a few more to complete the yellow cross - luckily the smallest area to cover! Work in progress .. but still needing a few more stamps!

No comments:

Post a Comment