Sunday 5 October 2014

S S Great Britain - a great day out!




I don't know why we've never visited the S S Great Britain until now.  However, my research for a new stamp collage proved the push I needed to go down to Bristol docks to investigate at close hand this amazing vessel. An online quiz gave me a 10% discount on my  ticket .. and a captain's hat! Needless to say I wasn't allowed to wear the hat in my daughter's company - just TOO embarrassing, but I did sneak in one crafty photograph!
 And she went dressed in a rather nautical looking navy jacket, with "Hello Sailor" logo on the sleeve, which I didn't mind about one bit!!
The tour was extensive, and it was good to find that our tickets would allow us to return any number of times for one year from date of purchase!  From the very start of our self guided tour, I was impressed by the presentation of artefacts and information about the great ship. And there were even some stamps on display.
  The ship was launched from Bristol in 1843 in the presence of Prince Albert, and spent many years at sea in various different forms. The stamps shown here depict S S Great Britain with six masts and a funnel. Later on, she was adapted as a Windjammer, a sailing ship with three masts and no funnel. She was later scuttled in Sparrow Cove on the Falkland Islands where during WW2 she was used as a store for bales of wool, and had some of her iron plating stripped to repair the naval vessel HMS Exeter.

It wasn't until 1970 that a rescue operation was commenced and she was towed back  to Bristol, to rapturous applause from the thousands of Bristolians and visitors who lined the banks of the River Avon to welcome her home.

No comments:

Post a Comment