Sunday 21 July 2019

Historic and rare post boxes - and not just red ones!

Visiting the British Postal Museum earlier this year drew my attention to Post boxes.  So much so that I find myself noticing them everywhere I go and often reading about their unique or rare features.

In Ripley, North Yorkshire, I came across this delightful Green post box and  old post office sign.
There is also a George VI  red pillar  box nearby! Which do we prefer?
 



In Queen Street, Amble, Northumberland  I also found   a rare box, which doesn't display  the collection times! These are shown  instead in the window of the post office. There are apparently only two of these in the country. I don't know the location of the other one.   Spotting post boxes wasn't all I did while on  a week's holiday, but these little pieces of industrial history certainly add interest to any walk!   I did post some postcards in the rare box, but doubt very much if the postmark will reveal that fact!   You can read more about post boxes in my blog post of 18th May 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment