Monday 16 March 2015

Working on the Mill - (work in progress)




















I've made some progress with my stamp collage interpretation of East Mill in Belper, using mainly British stamps but also incorporating a few foreign stamps too where necessary to obtain the correct shade for the brickwork.   The many windows are made from the interior papers of some old envelopes .

Taking photos of my work is a useful thing to do and often flags up areas that need altering slightly. In one of the areas of wall I had previously "completed", after taking a photograph it was evident that there was just a little too much postmarking.  Although I like to have some of this in my work, too much black ink on a lighter coloured stamp, especially with heavy postmarks, can detract from the overall feel of the picture or draw too much attention to an area.  Sometimes it can be appropriate, and even the words on a postmark can add interest, but it must be relevant to the design.

On with the search for some more stamps and on with the work ...  

No comments:

Post a Comment