Tuesday 27 March 2012

2012 London Olympics - National Flags in Stamps!














































I was set a challenge last year and that was to create stamp collage flags of all the nations taking part in the 2012 London olympics. Of course, I should have started an awful lot earlier as here we are in March 2012 with just under 5 months to go and I've completed flags for about 25 countries. Rather a lot to do ...




It's been fun, but much more difficult for some flags than others, due to a number of factors.



Red, white and blue flags are relatively easy to make dependent on their design of course. Our lovely Union flag, or Union Jack as it is popularly known, is one of the more complex designs and very distinctive and we've issued plenty of stamps which are predominantly blue or red, as have France, and the Netherlands. Availability of stamps is a big factor - shown above are the flags of the Beijing Olympics highest Gold medal winners - third came Russia, but I've yet to make their flag due to a shortage of stamps!


The flags of 22 different nations currently appear on the Flags page of my website and I've recently completed flags of Spain and the Netherlands so will shortly add those. At the moment I'm working on the flag of Greece, which is blue and white. Greece was the country where the Olympics began and the challenge is to complete this one by the end of this month - and I can award myself a treat, if not a Gold Medal!










No comments:

Post a Comment