Monday 25 February 2013

National Parks of America on stamps and photos

Last week I went to the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich and while there, visited the Ansel Adams exhibition.  We were lucky to arrive just in time for a guided tour which gave insight into the life and career of this great photographer. Many of his photographs were taken in the National Parks and Yosemite was one of his favourites.
I'd recently read an article in Stanley Gibbons Stamp Monthly which featured a set of stamps issued in the USA in 1934 commemmorating the National Parks, and sent it over to a friend in the USA.  At the week-end I received a letter back containing the set of 10 stamps.  Just like Ansel Adams, I think my favourite is the Yosemite 1c green stamp, which has an almost identical view of El Capitan.


Other stamps in the set include 5c blue showing "Old Faithful" geyser in Yellowstone park, and 6c blue showing Crater Lake and Wizard Island.  I will be interested to see if Ansel Adams photographed any of the other locations on the stamps.

Although I use a lot of stamps in my collages, I also collect and these beautiful stamps  will definitely be remaining in my collection!


No comments:

Post a Comment