Sunday 3 February 2013

The Sower stamps of France

I've just been reading the latest edition of Gibbons stamp Monthly magazine, and in particular a very detailed article on the Printing of the Sower Stamps of France.  I suddenly realised that I have always wrongly thought that this particular stamp depicted the iconic image of Marianne, and had given one of my stamp collages the title of "Marianne trawler" as I had used these stamps to make up the sails of the boat.  For this reason I am now going to follow a long tradition in the shipping industry and rename this particular vessel, "The Sower", with apologies to any collectors of French stamps for my previous error.

The Marianne stamps have recently made an appearance in another stamp collage of an iconic French landmark, The Eiffel tower!

No comments:

Post a Comment