Wednesday 19 March 2014

Boar is part of our family!

Researching the history of the Markwick family some years ago revealed that the family crest included the image of a Boar, and this has given rise to a number of jokes over the years, which I won't bore you with.
Needless to say, the subject crops up every now and again and birthday presents can be ... interesting!  Our house now has a stone Boar's head on the front - this was not my idea as I had given it to Geoff for his birthday thinking he would hang it somewhere discretely indoors.

When my friend Jilly Cobbe showed me a preliminary sketch she'd made for  a piece to be exhibited in the "Selected at Newark Park" exhibition , I was enchanted and asked if I could buy it to add to the growing  family collection of Boars. However, this piece was not for sale, but I did  manage to persuade her to have a giclee print made for me, and here it is! Jilly's work can be seen on her website : www.jillycobbe.co.uk



Newark Park, a National Trust property, is a former hunting lodge, and will be hosting the exhibition from 23rd April until 8th June 2014.  Jilly,one of a number of artists taking part, will be exhibiting pictures in various media portraying hunted animals. Other artists will be displaying work in a variety of media throughout the property, including textiles, glass, ceramics, sculpture and paintings.
The exhibition will be part of the SIT (Stroud International Textiles) festival and many other events  are being organised and will be in the SIT brochure which will be available in various outlets in Stroud as well as online. For the Selected at Newark Park exhibition it's also advisable to check opening times on the Newark Park website.
Russian stamp of 1969

Boars of course also feature on stamps from many countries and this could I suppose form a thematic collection for a Markwick family member such as myself!
Hungarian Boar stamp

No comments:

Post a Comment