Saturday 20 September 2014

The Haywain by John Constable - another one from my miniature art collection!

I'm a member of Postcrossing.com and today received a lovely card showing The Haywain from a student in Newcastle, who had recently visited Constable's home and the place where he painted many of his famous works. I've not been there yet but have seen  this painting on many visits over the years to London's National Gallery.  Completed in 1821, it's  one of Britain's favourite pictures and probably Constable's best known.

The 1/9 stamp is part of the British Paintings set of four stamps issued in 1968.   Coincidentally it was part of the set which included the Ruins of St Mary le Port by John Piper which I featured in my previous post earlier this week!

Other stamps in the same set are: Pinkie by Thomas Lawrence, painted in 1794 and in the Huntington Library collection, which I have used in at least one of my stamp collages as part of a crowd scene - see if you can find her near the Leaning Tower of Pisa ..and also Queen Elizabeth I by an unknown continental artist - National Portrait Gallery,London 

No comments:

Post a Comment