Saturday 4 April 2020

Cuckoo .. the best ever!


Eagerly waiting to see if this year will bring the Cuckoo back to nearby woodlands. It's years since I heard one loud and clear.  In fact, I have to say that it was back in 2006 when we were in France celebrating my late mum's 80th birthday and we heard what was from then on, always known as "the best ever cuckoo". 
With the Coronavirus Pandemic, less human activity outside, less traffic and pollution, some species of wildlife are more evident in our countryside and also in towns.  We've had a deer regularly visiting our garden, wild goats have been seen roaming the streets in Wales, our cat has brought in a newt and a slowworm, which happily I managed to rescue and re-release, so hopefully the Cuckoo may soon reappear.

I looked to see if I had any cuckoos on stamps, and surprisingly there aren't so many .. other birds are common to find, such as Robins, other garden birds, birds of prey and game birds, but I did track down these two issued in Czechoslovakia in 1972.  One of these will be going into my home made diary sometime in April, hopefully in a week or so ...

No comments:

Post a Comment