Thursday 5 April 2012

The Dispatch - Purton Ships' Graveyard



Sketch

Name Plate



















My first visit to Purton was over three years ago when I went there with my daughter, currently in her final year of a Photography Degree. She had been told about the Purton Hulks and thought it would be an interesting place to go and take some photographs. We've returned there together and separately several times since then and I've also taken photos and made sketches of some of the remains of the ships and boats that are on the banks of the Severn.







The Dispatch fired my imagination, and having made a sketch recently I then managed to follow this up with some research on how this ship originally looked.




I'm currently working on a stamp collage of the Dispatch in full sail and will post this shortly. In the meantime more details about this magnificent Schooner built in 1888 can be found on the website http://www.friendsofpurton.org.uk/ which also has information about the other vessels in the Ships' graveyard.


No comments:

Post a Comment