Tuesday 4 June 2013

Coronation Postage stamps issued in 1953

When making my stamp collages I try to include stamps relevant to the theme and the Union Jack commemmorating the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and her Coronation in 1953 includes both the red two and a half  penny (D) and  blue four penny (d) stamps issued the day after the event. I'm often asked if any of the stamps are very valuable and haven't to my knowledge every included anything very rare. The souvenir pull-out supplement in yesterday's Daily Telegraph carried an article about the stamps. It states that "415,034,000 of the 2 and a half D stamp " were issued!  Also, during the month of the Coronation a special postmark was used  with the crown and the words, Long Live the Queen - this was only used at some of the larger post offices in the UK.
My collage includes the 4d blue and the  red 2.5 D which, has been postmarked with these words!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment