Thursday 29 August 2013

Flower Basket Patchwork quilt stamp collage

I've finished work on this stamp collage, based on the flower basket patchwork quilts of yesteryear.  Instead of using fabrics as the traditional quilters did, I've used my own materials, stamps and envelopes to complete my paper collage design, which is approximately  20 inches square. I've used American stamps depicting roses and Spring flowers, as well as stamps featuring the many designs showing the US flag for the baskets.

I've tried to take care to have the flag the right way up as I understand there is a certain flag etiquette, although I don't really know how strictly this is adhered to in the case of  artwork, but I do like to try and be respectful!  George Washington (5c), John F Kennedy (13c)and  the Statue of Liberty also appear in this quilt, which uses as background  for some of the squares the insides of envelopes - nothing goes to waste! Instead of a fancy herringbone stitch I've used the edges of the airmail envelopes to join the patches.
The picture will be finished off with a white mount and frame. Prints and cards will also be available shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment