Thursday 23 January 2014

Variations on a theme of the Union flag, or Union Jack

We're so lucky to have such a wonderful colourful national flag and I've enjoyed making stamp collages of it using a variety of British stamps over the years.  These have been themed to include the word LOVE in the centre, large and small, using the Greetings issues, and in 2012 the year of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee I used more stamps featuring memorable events and icons from the Queen's 60 year reign.  All our stamps have the Queen's head, on so every stamp was appropriate for this particular version of the flag. A previous blog post gives more details about this one - complete with an acknowledgement from Buckingham Palace!
The Beatles have also been featured, with the LOVE,LOVE,LOVE  reference together with six Beatles album covers included in one of the collages.  A Christmas  flag is made up mainly of Christmas stamps!
The original flags are approximately 12 x 9 inches but canvas prints or giclee can be scaled up to any size and the most recent commission was the largest I've ever been asked to produce.
Just before Christmas I received a request all the way from Australia, from a British ex-pat working in Perth asking if I could customise one of my collages and enlarge it as big as possible and have it flown over there. He listed subjects he particularly wanted me to include, such as the Beatles, Sir Winston Churchill, a red telephone box, a guardsman, the England flag, references to Wales and the North West of England - and Mo Farrah winning his Gold Medal at the 2012 Olympics!  There is just one image which is not a stamp -that of Britpop artist, Noel Gallagher, which he particularly wished to be included, and supplied to me to fit somewhere in the design. The poppy was also chosen to be the central image.
I was very pleased with the quality of the print and the efficient service I received from my local printers in producing the canvas from my design to more than a metre in width, and the transport company who collected the parcel from my home and delivered to a very satisfied  client in Perth just 5 days later - in time for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment