Monday 2 February 2015

Art collection in a cardboard box ..

One of my regular activities is searching through boxes of stamps ..  I have several in my studio and there may be hidden treasures within! My latest search is for stamps of a certain colour which I can transform into brick walls for a collage I will soon be working on! I'm also looking for people on stamps to make up crowds, and for trees .. the list goes on. However, as usual I get distracted and find interesting stamps  I wasn't really looking for!  Here's one such stamp!
This Polish stamp issued in 1989 features a painting by Stefan Nacht-Samborski who was  born in Krakow in1898 and died in Warsaw in 1974. You can read about his life and artistic career on
culture.pl/en/artist/stefan-artur-nacht-samborski

As the writer of the above biography says, it's not easy to define his work, but he's known as a Polish colourist. Subjects in his work include plants and still life paintings, and are simply decorative. I find them very appealing!

This is one of a set of art stamps and I may come across the others in my box as there seem to be a lot of Polish stamps in this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment