Tuesday 10 January 2017

Packed like sardines .. from the Post Office??

I went in  the Post Office on Camoes square in Lisbon, Portugal, to buy a few stamps for my postcards. The lady behind the counter asked me if I would like to buy a can of sardines instead and get the same amount of stamps included in the price.At least that's what I thought she said!   It sounded like a good deal so I purchased the little can only to find that it actually contained six stamps but not sardines after all! I really need to learn Portuguese next time I go!!

 These stamps were issued in November 2016, celebrating the  Fish canning industry in Portugal and they show the different processes as well as the various types of fish, including Sardines, Eel and Tuna, which you can find attractively packaged in colourful cans in food stores and souvenir shops everywhere in Lisbon!I spotted this display shown below on the left, and another shop in the city centre has been selling canned eel exclusively since 1942.  I was offered a sample to taste, which I did, somewhat reluctantly, but have to say that it was quite delicious!


I used just one of my stamps from the Limited edition stamp can (above)   .. and now I wish I hadn't as the intact tin will surely be a future collector's item! But it's certainly a talking point!  And I came back from my holiday with several brightly coloured tins of real sardines as well!!

I've since made a colourful collage  incorporating the lid of the opened can as well as the lid from a real can of Sardines, alongside other bits and pieces collected while in Lisbon.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment